It wasn’t that long ago that this year when we were all focused on the GOP’s war on women. Back then we were all screaming mad as the political war on the vagina dominated our news. It was planned parenthood, abortion, you name it, women were the new target for the GOP. Which when I think of it, it’s a wonder none of them suggested that the U.S. economy is teetering on the brink of collapse all due to some evil vagina-lurking-terrorist, hell bent on destroying America.
Check out the top 10 shocking attacks from the GOP’s war on women according to MoveOn.org:
1) Republicans not only want to reduce women’s access to abortion care, they’re actually trying to redefine rape. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven’t yet. Shocker.
2) A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to “accuser.” But victims of other less gendered crimes, like burglary, would remain “victims.”
3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)
4) Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant women, mothers, babies, and kids.
5) In Congress, Republicans have a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.
6) Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids’ preschool program. Why? No need, they said.Women should really be home with the kids, not out working.
7) And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.
8) Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.
9) Congress just voted for a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.
10) And if that wasn’t enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans. But Republican Dan Burton has a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. You can’t make this stuff up).
I mean hell, according to them it was those poor financially undisciplined people of color who was responsible for the bursting of the housing bubble. So given the strong sentiments of the Republican lead anti-coochie movement, it’s really a wonder that nobody suggested that women were responsible for the 14 trillion dollar national debt which is rapidly increasing.
Be that as it may, and given the analysis by pundits after the ink on the freshly signed debt ceiling deal by president Obama has dried. What I find interesting is that while touted as a victory for the GOP mostly because of the non-inclusion of revenue enhancements. Is the fact that it is women, who will come to bear the brunt of the $2.1 trillion in cuts by the government. And of course we already know the huge disparity between white women and women of color, when in comes to the net worth of women in their prime. So yes, maybe the GOP did win, but this time on the sneak tip.
Do watch the following clip to understand: